Monday, January 14, 2013

Motivation Monday: Give Back!


Volunteerism has been an important part of my life as far back as I can remember. I have been involved with a number of volunteer efforts including facilitating a road race to raise money for cancer research; participating in a number of events with the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls; and helping with various philanthropic causes through my church (First Presbyterian), high school and college (UNR).

But the volunteer adventure that made the biggest impact was AmeriCorps. After college, I moved to Anchorage, Alaska and worked within disaster relief at the American Red Cross. Without knowing it at the time, this shaped my future and career. Since Red Cross, I have been involved with non-profit work for almost ten years.

While I work within volunteer led organizations, I have been lacking in my own volunteer commitments. My preference are volunteer opportunities that are episodic: one-day events. So, I compiled a list of ways I (and you!) can help out our community.
  1. Project Homeless: On Wednesday, January 30, San Diego’s 7th Annual Project Homeless Connect will be held at Golden Hall, on the San Diego Concourse from 9am-3pm. Volunteers are needed to staff the registration table, provide food service and perform other key tasks. Not able to volunteer? Donate gently used clothing! Donations can be dropped off at Golden Hall THE DAY BEFORE THE EVENT on January 29 between 8am-4pm.
  2. River Clean-Up: Help in the effort to keep San Diego clean! Join their monthly clean-ups. Check out the link for more information.
  3. Cupid's Clean-up: Help clean-up Pacific Beach area on Saturday, February 9 from 10am-12pm. Meet at the Pacific Beach Library. Not available this day? Search "I Love a Clean San Diego" to learn about their scheduled clean-up days. You can also volunteer with San Diego Coastkeeper.
  4. Cooking for a Cause: Volunteer with the Ronald McDonald House dinner program. Just organize your co-workers, friends and/or neighbors (10-15) and prepare a meal that can feed up to 75 people.  Dinner is served Monday-Friday from 6pm-7:30pm and Saturday-Sunday from 12pm-1:30pm.
Looking for more of a volunteer project or commitment? Below are organizations that are close to my heart. Check them out!
  1. American Red Cross: Volunteer within disaster relief, military support services or health and safety
  2. Voices For Children: Volunteer as a Court Appointed Special Advocate to support foster youth
  3. Words Alive: Volunteer with at-risk youth and adolescents in alternative classrooms as a reader or book group facilitator. Or, become a mentor for scholarship recipients overcoming adversity such as homelessness, teen pregnancy, delinquency or the foster care system.
Not digging the aforementioned opportunities? Do your own search using the below search tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment