Monday, August 19, 2013

Motivation Monday: Cell Free

For many people, the cell phone has morphed into an appendage, permanently attached and always within reach. But honestly, it is extremely distracting being out with someone that cannot just put his/her cell phone down for a drink/dinner/conversation. So, if you have a hunch that you might be someone that uses your cell phone incessantly, I implore you to go on a digital diet.

Now, don't get me wrong. Cell phones have a very important purpose - family emergencies, personal emergencies, work and of course connecting us with loved ones. But if you cannot get through a lunch without responding to a text message or relentlessly perusing Facebook, then there is an issue.

I'm guilty of this as well, and I'm making a cognizant effort to be present when I'm out with my husband, friends or family. I now keep my phone in my purse, out of reach and on silent. I find this to be very effective. The only time I check it is if I'm waiting on someone or if my dinner date goes to the bathroom. But honestly, I barely think about it. And when I'm home, I plug it in and only look at it if I'm expecting a call. This method might be frustrating to some because I'm infamous for missing calls. But I have made a huge effort to always return calls within 24-hours.

According to my research, studies have shown that cell phones and digital technology are negatively affecting interpersonal relationships. That's not good! Technology should be something we can control; not the other way around.

Your answer? Go on a diet. I encourage you (and myself) to take this challenge.
  • When on vacation, unplug. Don't check Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Only look at your work emails if your job requires immediate responses (but keep within reason; maybe just respond to emails the first 15-minutes of your day). And ONLY look at your phone if necessary.
  • At dinner with your significant other, friend, family-member or co-worker, put the cell phone away - either in your pocket or purse. And stop thinking about it.
  • At home, be engaged with your spouse, children, family or roommates. Be in the moment. Be present.
  • Experience something first. Post on Facebook later. How many times do we update our status in the middle of something fun (or tragic). What's up with that? I do this as well. But if you think about it - it's silly.
  • Leave your phone behind if you go on a walk, to the beach, the gym or whenever you really don't need it. Disconnect for a while.
That's it! You can do it! Do not surrender yourself to that little machine (that may or may not give you brain cancer. I tease.). I think this diet is a necessary for everyone; so, let's try to shed some digital over usage!

No comments:

Post a Comment