Monday, April 7, 2014

Motivation Monday: Celebrating Life

Saying goodbye is never easy. In my lifetime, the goodbyes have proven to be some of my most difficult, gut-wrenching, surreal yet precious memories. Saying goodbye to my mother 12-years ago and most recently making the heart-breaking decision to remove my older brother from life support, I know what it's like to say your final words and cherish your final embraces. Those moments stay with me; they are now a part of my internal make-up. 

Despite the overwhelming sense of helplessness when saying goodbye, the ability to share your loved ones' final moments is a gift. One to be treasured.

Sadly, my husband and his family are faced with this reality. Grandpa Jerry is in hospice. In a few short days, we will be traveling to Chicago to say our goodbyes. I know the family is hurting as grandpa Jerry is the pillar of strength, connector and glue. It's grandpa that provides advice, stability, tough love, memories and of course the family song. He is the strong one and now is in the position where he needs his children, grandchildren, and family by his side. The winds have shifted.

But as my husband and family grieve, the one thing that has become very clear to me is that this is an opportunity to celebrate grandpa Jerry - it's a time to honor his life, preserve the amazing memories and let him know it's okay to go.

Regardless of the beauty in life and death, the idea of celebrating is the furthest thing from our minds. But it's important to remember death is the only guarantee in life, and if given the chance, we should embrace these final moments to let grandpa Jerry know he is loved. So, here are some ways to say goodbye.
  • Touch your loved one in a way that is comforting. Let your physical presence be part of what nurtures a place of trust.
  • Tell your loved one you love him/her. Share memories. Cry. Laugh. Sit in silence.
  • Forgive your loved one of any past estrangement/ behavior/words
  • Give your loved one permission to let go 
We love you grandpa Jerry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment