Monday, May 26, 2014

Motivation Monday: Mending Relationships


I'm back! I apologize for my infrequent posts - I needed a bit of a break and opportunity to clear my head.

First post? Mending relationships - friendships, family connections and your relationship with your spouse. All of which are important to devote time, energy and love - a little TLC, if you will. You don't want to regret your last words or lack of effort - more specifically, you don't want your loved ones to think you do not care. I've personally lost two very close people in my life recently - and our last conversations and interactions were...let's say, unresolved. As my reader, I don't want you to experience that kind of grief.

Because of this harsh reality, I'm working on mending my relationships. One in particular is plaguing me. A friendship that is strained, misunderstood and complicated. Despite my innate ability to turn the page, I'm unable to move forward.

While I realize the notion of BFF is romanticized - and as we grow our relationships change as we embrace new careers, family, relocation and potentially marriage - I still want to make a last stitch effort to mend this relationship. The question begs, is it worth it?

The sense of trust and connection felt with a best friend is motivating, but when that friendship begins to drift away, the sense of unease, discomfort, and/or loss is palpable. So what can you do to mend a broken friendship? Here are some tips.
  • Communicate.There’s a wall of silence between you. What do you do? Summon up the courage to start a dialogue. And not just small talk - a conversation at which you openly address the tangible tension between the two of you.
  • Apologize, if you should. If you know it was you who said or did something wrong-or who didn’t do or say something you should have, own up to the mistake. 
  • Forgive, if you can. Conversely, if you were the one who was wronged and the friendship is important to you, consciously decide to forgive your friend in order to save the friendship.
  • Take a break. Maybe you need time apart to realize how much you mean to each other. On the other hand, you both may breathe a sigh of  relief during the trial separation. 
Fixing a broken friendship is never easy because the rules of friendships aren’t clear. But if it is worth a try, then make the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment