Sunday, June 21, 2015

Motivation Monday: Tolerance

Excitedly I opened the Amazon package from my dad - it's Hilary Clinton's new book, Hard Choices. I smiled as my father is a Republican. Our political views - once aligned - have shifted. Yet, my father is open-minded to the extent that he purchased the book from the most prominent Democratic presidential candidate...despite his opposing beliefs.

As recognition of this thoughtful gift, I posted on social media - thanking my father for his generosity. And to my surprise, an acquaintance from elementary to high school rudely commented, "and this is the time I stop following you...have a nice life." I was taken aback. I'm not friends with this person, but have known him since fourth grade. In fact, I have lamented on the time we were called into detention because I used the casing of a Bic pen as a spit ball launcher which unfortunately landed on the substitute's face. Yes, I've also had a mischievous side.

I deleted his comment - for fear others would chime in - and stopped following him (out of spite). But I felt frazzled. How could a picture of a book written by a presidential candidate cause such a reaction? Why did I feel personally attacked? How is it that this comment made my stomach churn?

After processing the words and digesting the sting of his sentiment, I have come to the conclusion that I must be tolerant. Open - like my dad - to the opposing opinions of my own. And in the end, I should be beholden that we have the freedom to express our ideas, thoughts and preferences. So, thank you Nigel - thank you for your comment as it's a reminder that we have the right - neigh, privilege - to different ideologies. And for that, I'm grateful...and tolerant.

No comments:

Post a Comment